Perky Pet Hummingbird Feeder $2 AR

Christina

Wildlife Loving Member
This is a great deal. Thanks Chris. The price is good and with the rebate a steal for a product like this. The bee guards are super to have, believe me ... the ones I have now do not have bee guards and I sure wish they did. The glass bottle another bonus as plastic bottles yellow/discolor after a year or two. I rarely order online but I might have to do this one.

ADDED: After reading the reviews I am not so sure. Seem to be some leaking problems because of the base being 2 parts. :(

Last edited:

Sandy

I have a smaller one that suctions to the window for gramma to see the hummingbirds better. We love the birdies!

Christina

Wildlife Loving Member
I often wondered about those window suction ones if they would attract the hummingbirds or not being right up on the window. I may have to get one for my office.

Sandy

Hell yeah! When I'm sitting in the chair next to the window I have it suctioned to I get a great close up view. They are so delicate. Very cool.

Do you know how to attract blue jays? We have a set of cardinals that hang around, a woodpecker, and of course, chickadees. But, that's about it for the interesting/colorful birds. Wondering if a hawk would freak out any of the other birds.

Last edited:

Christina

Wildlife Loving Member
Shoot. I just typed up a really long reply to you Sandy and my PC went off line and I submitted and poof gone. Should have known to copy before I hit submit just in case.

Anyway, in short now LOL, blue jays like large platform feeders ... they like peanuts and sunflower seeds. And yes all birds are freaked out by hawks because they know hawks are predators. I think that is why no ducks stick around and make our pond home, because we have a pair back in our woods.

spacecasegirl

We love the hummingbirds here ours are totally brave they will come up to the feeders when we are playing outside and look at us and go about their business!:kekeke:

Sandy

Shoot. I just typed up a really long reply to you Sandy and my PC went off line and I submitted and poof gone. Should have known to copy before I hit submit just in case.

Anyway, in short now LOL, blue jays like large platform feeders ... they like peanuts and sunflower seeds. And yes all birds are freaked out by hawks because they know hawks are predators. I think that is why no ducks stick around and make our pond home, because we have a pair back in our woods.

I knew it! I seriously don't like that hawk. It's always after the baby chipmunks and I love them! Super cute! Anyway, I have a platform feeder and I put out Scotts songbird mix which is loaded with nuts and fruit, including sunflower seeds. But, I haven't seen a bluejay in years. :hs:

Mishie

Friendly Member
When I lived with Mom, we had cherry trees in our yard. Blue Jays LOVED them. They would all gather there and have a feast. We had a big orange tom cat who would climb the tree and try to catch them. But instead of him catching them, they would gang up on him. You would think he would have learned to avoid those trees after being attacked by a bunch of angry blue jays, but he never did. He was never hurt by them, I guess that's why he didn't learn. It was really funny to watch though. He would sit in the top of the tree and try to swat the birds out of the sky when they would dive at him.

:kekeke:

Christina

Wildlife Loving Member
I knew it! I seriously don't like that hawk. It's always after the baby chipmunks and I love them! Super cute! Anyway, I have a platform feeder and I put out Scotts songbird mix which is loaded with nuts and fruit, including sunflower seeds. But, I haven't seen a bluejay in years. :hs:

Its tough to say Sandy why you are not seeing blue jays in your area. I checked out the Wisconsin Society of Ornithology website and on their 2011 checklist blue jays are listed as common, however, as quoted from Wikipedia "Recently, the range of the Blue Jay has extended northwestwards so that it is now a rare but regularly seen winter visitor along the northern US." :dunno:

ADDED: From a University of Wisconsin report about the habitat of blue jays it appears they are mainly sticking to the forests:

".... of 1523 observations in Wisconsin from 1995-2000, 56% were in upland hardwood forest (predominately oak and then maple) or upland mixed forest (predominately pine), yet only 14% were in urban habitats (WSO 2002)."

Last edited:

Sandy

Its tough to say Sandy why you are not seeing blue jays in your area. I checked out the Wisconsin Society of Ornithology website and on their 2011 checklist blue jays are listed as common, however, as quoted from Wikipedia "Recently, the range of the Blue Jay has extended northwestwards so that it is now a rare but regularly seen winter visitor along the northern US." :dunno:

ADDED: From a University of Wisconsin report about the habitat of blue jays it appears they are mainly sticking to the forests:

".... of 1523 observations in Wisconsin from 1995-2000, 56% were in upland hardwood forest (predominately oak and then maple) or upland mixed forest (predominately pine), yet only 14% were in urban habitats (WSO 2002)."

Awww, well, it is failry woodsie around here. Maybe I'll be lucky this spring!

Thanks for the info!

register to remove this ad: