Free Stuff Times Forums  

Go Back   Free Stuff Times Forums > Free Stuff/Deal Discussion > Coupons

Old 11-12-2009, 01:10 AM   #1
kresin
Texas Bounty Hunter

kresin will become famous soon enough
Default Smart Cash Registers at Wal-Mart vs. Target??

Can someone explain to me how the cash registers work at Wal-Mart? The checker didn't even look at my coupons. She just scanned them all in at the end of my transaction. I was honest and only gave her non-expired coupons for items that I had purchased and that were correctly sized. What if I had handed her a whole handful of coupons? Would she just have scanned them successfully, or is the cash register smart enough to know whether or not I actually purchased all of those items?

At Target, the cashier looked carefully at all of the coupons and dates and amounts before scanning them. I didn't have any problems with that transaction but it just took a little longer.

So what's up with Wal-Mart and Target? Smart cash registers and/or smart cashiers?
kresin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:08 AM   #2
Risa
Craft Happy Member

Risa has a spectacular aura aboutRisa has a spectacular aura aboutRisa has a spectacular aura about

Walmart cash registers will kick out a coupon if the product you bought does not match what the coupon is for. It will not however check expiration dates. That is suppose to be the cashier's job. Sometimes the system will throw out a coupon even if you have the product due to system errors, etc. If that happens, make the cashier visually verify that they match and they can just key in the coupon amount.
Risa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 12:01 PM   #3
krystal2106

krystal2106 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to krystal2106

also it depends on what kind of cashier you have some of them like to act as if it is THEM who is paying for the coupon lol i one time had a guy NOT scan my items and read each and every SINGLE coupon i had (kinda my fault i shouldnt have shown my coupons) anywho as long as your following the policy in store and coupons you should be fine
krystal2106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 03:47 PM   #4
kresin
Texas Bounty Hunter

kresin will become famous soon enough
Default Thank you! A few more coupon questions...

Thank you all for the helpful hints. I really appreciate the time you take to answer my questions. Free Stuff Times is my website of choice for freebies and coupons. The website is well-managed, always up to date, and the members are diverse and very friendly! Thank you!!

________

What I've learned so far:

1) Do not show my coupons to the cashier until all items have been rung up. 2) Wal-Mart cash registers are pretty smart about matching items purchased with the coupons (except for expiration dates.)
3) All cashiers/checkers handle coupons differently (independent of the store policy?)

I have just a few more questions...

Looking over the cashiers before picking what lane you get in is probably smart -- how do you pick a "good" checker versus a "bad" checker when it comes to coupons?

Is it best to come when the store is (a) very busy, (b) kind of busy, or (c) not busy at all? Morning, afternoon or evening hours? (Are there 8 am to 5 pm management-type workers that don't work in the evening? Is that good or bad?)

Any other words of wisdom from experienced coupon users? Is there a term you prefer for people who use a lot of coupons??

kresin

(If you haven't figured it out yet, I have an engineering degree, and, like all engineers, I like to know all of the "rules.")
kresin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 03:58 PM   #5
krissyg89

krissyg89 is on a distinguished road

The cash registers have been programmed to know the difference between coupons and the value of the coupons depending on the bar code, just like they know the difference between the items your purchase and the price of those items. If you try to use a coupon on an item you didn't buy, the register will not accept the coupon.

Sometimes cashiers just want you out quickly, so they don't really care about the coupons until the register beeps.

When I "pick" a cashier, I try to find a young woman. Maybe it's just me, but I've noticed a lot of the young women cashiers I've encountered seem to be very easy going and helpful. And, of course, I always try to be nice. If I have a feeling I'm going to have trouble with a coupon, I will always ask if I can use the coupon on the item. If they say no, then I don't buy the item. If they say yes and they have trouble, they'll usually push it right through with no problem.
krissyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:21 PM   #6
newsol

newsol is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by krissyg89 View Post

When I "pick" a cashier, I try to find a young woman. Maybe it's just me, but I've noticed a lot of the young women cashiers I've encountered seem to be very easy going and helpful. And, of course, I always try to be nice. If I have a feeling I'm going to have trouble with a coupon, I will always ask if I can use the coupon on the item. If they say no, then I don't buy the item. If they say yes and they have trouble, they'll usually push it right through with no problem.
I do the same thing...
newsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:24 PM   #7
N6NCY

N6NCY is on a distinguished road

I really do think cashier selection is the most important. I'm not saying so that you can cheat - you can have perfectly legal, non expired coupons and some cashiers will still want to fight about them. So, no matter what I'm getting I go to a young girl, a guy, or possibly a middle aged woman if she has that "I dont give a F" look, know what I mean? lol I've wasted so much time with the wrong cashiers (never ever to go an old woman), they argue and argue just to eventually get the manager and be told they are wrong. Then (because this is what happens here) they always remember you and hold a grudge. Ofcourse none of this makes any sense to me. Its not like they are paying for the coupons!
N6NCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 06:09 PM   #8
webhunting.info

webhunting.info has a spectacular aura aboutwebhunting.info has a spectacular aura about

What I've learned so far:

1) Do not show my coupons to the cashier until all items have been rung up. 2) Wal-Mart cash registers are pretty smart about matching items purchased with the coupons (except for expiration dates.)
3) All cashiers/checkers handle coupons differently (independent of the store policy?)

yes, some cashiers do not know the store policies and/or have not been trained on coupons very well, if at all. some know the right buttons to push on the register, and some (maybe fearing job loss), will call for a manager at the slightest hint of an issue.

I have just a few more questions...

Looking over the cashiers before picking what lane you get in is probably smart -- how do you pick a "good" checker versus a "bad" checker when it comes to coupons?

i know most of my stores well enough to know which cashiers are good and which are bad. stores with a high turnover make it harder to say. the younger ones do seem to be more "with the program", just from being internet trained if nothing else. some of the older ones just don't even know web coupons are out there.

Is it best to come when the store is (a) very busy, (b) kind of busy, or (c) not busy at all? Morning, afternoon or evening hours? (Are there 8 am to 5 pm management-type workers that don't work in the evening? Is that good or bad?)

i find the daytime people to be more savvy. most of my shopping is at night, and i often call the day people at the store to get the night people straightened out. my cashiers seem to get less stressed when i go and they're not busy. stores like walgreen's will let the couponers check out at cosmetics or photo so we're not holding up the whole line at the front. i know "riverbrat" has mentioned she will let others pass in front of her when she is doing mulitiple transactions.

Any other words of wisdom from experienced coupon users? Is there a term you prefer for people who use a lot of coupons??

i think we mostly just call ourselves "couponers".
webhunting.info is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 06:21 PM   #9
bagofrats

bagofrats will become famous soon enough

Haha - yeah, I don't get the defensiveness of the cashiers either. I mean, it is a part of their job.

I've had the best luck with young men, simply because they normally don't care at all. Young to middle aged of either gender, especially if they look lazy or kinda tweekerish. Always avoid cashiers that are deliberate, slow or easily confused (walmart seems to specialize in these), as they will give you crap, call a manager and/or reject any coupon with overage (ex. Pace $4 off). Time consuming and annoying. Remember the cashiers that don't complain about your coupons and just push them through if the register beeps, but obviously don't misuse coupons with these people, for they are your temporary friends.
bagofrats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 03:42 AM   #10
jenniferclay
Mrs. Jack Sparrow member

jenniferclay has a spectacular aura aboutjenniferclay has a spectacular aura about

I just have to say that picking the right cashier is a key thing to do. I went to walmart the other day and only had 3 coupons. The cashier that I went to was in such a hurry she only rang up one of my coupons, and when I asked before I gave her my money, did you get all the coupons? She stated yes with such an attitude. Well, I paid and got my receipt and was like, um..it is only showing one? she got all huffy so i was like ok just give me the coupons back and ill go to customer service. she tried to tell me that she could not open it with out a manager. wth is that crap? so I had to wait in customer service line TWICE. it was annoying. so yea, picking the right cashier is key.
jenniferclay is offline   Reply With Quote