Possible Free Netgear WNR3500L router

chrisman

Got mine today. Had it sent to my PO Box but some how it ended up at my garage?! i guess UPS is hooked into the government

laurelnev

Set-Up for Router Recipients

Just finished setting mine up. A few things to note:

1) DO NOT use the included CD. Instead, go to samknows.com/install, input your e-mail address, and you'll get setup instructions specific to your ISP.

2) There is a firmware update. Download it. It is a very good thing and addresses several bugs. (You will be sorry if you do not, and you may have difficulties configuring the router to work with certain ISPs. ) Then, go to routerlogin.com, input u/n "Admin" and p/w "password" to apply the update.

3) Reboot BOTH your computer and your router/modem, then go back to routerlogin.com and do the following:

* Change the name of the network to something other than the default of Netgear. If you don't want neighbors to bug you when their internet goes out, pick something other than your own name for your networks. Naming networks after pets or cars is always popular.

* Change the admin login info to ANYTHING BUT admin and password. Failing to do so leaves you vulnerable to remote network hijacking.

* Set up security. Keep in mind that wireless N is backwards compatible with a/b/g devices, but not all security protocols are. WEP is backwards compatible with almost all devices/cards, but is the most easily broken of the encryption protocols. WPA is much better; WPA2 is even better still.

* If you are upgrading an existing wireless network, remember you will have to reconfigure EVERY device that accesses this network, unless you use the exact same name, password/key, and security protocol. If you are upgrading security from WEP to WPA, it may be easier to change the network name and reconfigure a device than reconfigure the properties of your current wireless settings.

* This router allows you to configure a "guest network" if you wish to leave an open connection for hotspot users. This router also allows you to attach a USB drive to function as a network drive.

* Remember, the reboot order is modem (wait), router, and then computer. When you need to reboot, turn all three off (order not important) then back on in the order indicated above (very important.)

Setting up the router itself should take no more than about 15 minutes IF you are replacing a separate router. Things may be a little more complicated if you are replacing a combined modem/router. Remember, for most broadband connections, your log in info is stored in the modem. Be sure to follow the samknows guides if you are having issues.

If anyone has issues, PM me, and I'll try to help you sort them out,

somedaybaby

Question for those that are doing this study -

I got the router but haven't hook it up yet - been trying to get my husband to do it. When I explained to him what it was for, he kinda freaked out that the government would be or could track all incoming/outgoing data from our computers. The box is sealed in plastic, but he thinks it was probably opened so they know the --- I don't know what he called it --- but it wouldn't be secure. We use our home computer for business purposes too, which has confidential client information on it.

Was your netgear box opened? The email I got says there's a "welcome letter within the box which has a link to your personalized instructions", there was nothing but a packing slip in the outer box, I haven't opened the actual Netgear box yet.

Does anyone know more about what they are tracking, do you think its secure? Anyone see an issue with doing this? Anyone using the router and not install from samknows?

:dunno: I just thought I was signing up for a free router... not sure about this tracking stuff...

sunedaz77

I got the router but haven't hook it up yet - been trying to get my husband to do it. When I explained to him what it was for, he kinda freaked out that the government would be or could track all incoming/outgoing data from our computers. The box is sealed in plastic, but he thinks it was probably opened so they know the --- I don't know what he called it --- but it wouldn't be secure. We use our home computer for business purposes too, which has confidential client information on it.

Was your netgear box opened? The email I got says there's a "welcome letter within the box which has a link to your personalized instructions", there was nothing but a packing slip in the outer box, I haven't opened the actual Netgear box yet.

Does anyone know more about what they are tracking, do you think its secure? Anyone see an issue with doing this? Anyone using the router and not install from samknows?

:dunno: I just thought I was signing up for a free router... not sure about this tracking stuff...

This is what my letter said:

For Installation Instructions go to: http//fcc.samknows.com/install

Dear Volunteer,
Thank you again for signing up to be part of the TestMyISP Broadband Community and working with the FCC and SamKnows on this critical effort!

As you know, this project is the first step in a landmark effort to reform the way broadband performance is measured and reported in the United States. Working in conjunction with public interest groups, broadband providers and consumers like you, we are introducing more transparency and accountability into the broadband marketplace. Measuring actual speeds and performance delivered to homes such as yours is essential to this cause.

Enclosed, you will find your customized, state-of-the-art NETGEAR White Box. For installation instructions, please go to http//fcc.samknows.com/install, enter your email address and we will provide you with a personalized set of instructions. Installation should be simple and painless process, but if you have any questions, please contact us at community@samknows.com. Once the White Box is plugged in, you are all set!

We will test your broadband performance on a periodic basis, and your results will be combined with those of our other volunteers to provide valuable information to the FCC, broadband providers and public at large.

As a reminder, we are only collecting information about your broadband connection and will not see anything about your online activities. You will have access to your personal broadband performance information, which we'll send to you soon after installation.

Thank you for choosing to participate in this effort and helping to shape the future of broadband in America!

Regards,
FCC and SamKnows

Hope this info helps. For me after a week and a half of working with samknows techs to get this thing to connect to the internet I finally told them I was done to send me a return shipping label!!

willow01

If you're really freaking out about it. Do what I did.

If you already have a router, take the ethernet cable and hook the Netgear one you received in an open LAN port on your current router. Make sure coming from your current router to the Netgear it's plugged into the WAN port on the Netgear.

Since the Netgear doesn't have security on it yet, you can hook a wireless laptop up to it now and go through putting in your security.

Then use the Netgear router for like PS3, XBOX360, Wii Etc.....You won't be doing anything with it except small stuff, and nothing of importance will go through the Netgear router.

Samknows will see that the router is active and online and still do its testing.

douglasc727

i fealt the same.after getting the router i never opened it.i wrote return to sender,removed my name and address and dropped it in the post office box.probably not the smartest thing to do now i think about it,but hey...its all the govermnet.they can sort it out

chrisman

i fealt the same.after getting the router i never opened it.i wrote return to sender,removed my name and address and dropped it in the post office box.probably not the smartest thing to do now i think about it,but hey...its all the govermnet.they can sort it out

You know you could have returned it to Best Buy and gotten 79.99 in store credit...i was unsure if i was gonna use mine but since i dont do any confidential business work at home i decided to just use it

WindHarvester

I qualified for this but I didn't persue it because I had doubts on what it is really for.

Maybe it's really "Uncle Sam knows"?

laurelnev

Guys...they're NOT interested in any of your personal data. They're interested in you'r ISP's performance...period. They're measuring things like dropped packets, failed DNS requests, latency, video streaming rates, and download/upload speeds. Think of it like this: say the govt put a device on your engine to measure actual gas consumption under certain conditions. That device would not record where you actually drove the car, what you kept in the car, etc. It would only measure how much gas the engine consumed at any given time, so they could compare that data with reports from the automakers.

And not to sound rude or trollish, but SamKnows was real upfront about what the offer entails: we need to collect data, and we need volunteers to do it. To collect the data we seek, we need to install custom firmware on your router. To accomplish this, we'll send you a new, state of the art router with our firmware installed. The router is yours to keep for as long as you collect this data for us. We intend to collect data for 3 years. If you stay with us for the whole data collection period, the router is yours to keep. Should you ever decide you no longer want to participate, we'll want the router back.

As a side perk, you'll have access to this data throughout the testing period,, through a user control panel, that allows you to view your stats. This has already helped me. Verizon insisted they had no interruptions one day last week. Although I took advantage of a nearby open wireless while my verizon was wonky, the router continued to collect data on my connection, verifying the outage Verizon claimed did not exist. I wish I could get my neighbor to run this on his cable connection--I'd love to compare the actual performance numbers to see which is really the better deal for internet access.

I would NOT suggest returning it to any store for credit. A person could actually be charged with fraud for doing this. This is NOT an off the shelf netgear router, but rather, one made specifically for samknows, with a slip of paper inside the sealed box that indicates this. If you decide you do not want to participate, log in to your account and request a return label.

Again, they're NOT collecting data on YOUR behavior; they're collecting data on your provider's actual performance, so that they can compare that with what your provider reports. The government has NO current data on actual performance, but rather, all of their current data is based on self-reports. This router gives you the opportunity to provide the government with data on the actual performance of your personal connection, and may force your local provider to be more honest about what they're actually selling you. I'm actually rather excited about being able to be a part of this effort.

Last edited:
register to remove this ad: